Ethical Trading Agreement
We have a moral and ethical responsibility to our employees to meet a minimum code of conduct regarding human rights. We would also encourage all companies in our supply chain to support and adhere to a similar code of conduct for those they employ.
To this end we adopt the following standards and look to our suppliers and through them to their suppliers, to support these principles: –
Employment is freely chosen
- No bonded or forced labour.
- Minimum overtime is paid in accordance with national laws, nor is it continually required.
- Workers are free to leave their employment after giving reasonable notice.
- Our company supports and respects internationally declared human rights and treats our employees fair, equally and with respect.
Freedom of Association
- The right to join or form trade unions of their own choosing.
- Employee representatives are not discriminated against and they are provided access to employees in the workplace.
- Our company accepts elected employee representatives and respects decisions that have been reached through negotiations.
- The right to collective bargaining.
- Worker representatives are not discriminated against.
- A safe and hygienic environment shall be provided.
- Adequate steps shall be taken to reduce accidents and risk of injury in the workplace.
- Regular health and safety training shall be given to all workers.
- Clean toilets, sanitary conditions for the storage and consumption of food, and potable water shall be provided.
- Our company gives its employees paid vacation time every year, and the right to sick leave and parental leave in accordance with applicable legal provisions.
- However we recognise that local legislation may differ from country to country and that this must always govern appropriate action.
- Where young people are employed it must only be under circumstances that protect them against physical risks and that their employment does not disrupt their education.
- No child under 18 years of age works excessive hours, night shifts, or in hazardous conditions.
Terms of Employment
- Wages and benefits for working a reasonable working week should cover basic needs, and provide some discretionary income.
- Deductions from wages should only be with the expressed permission of the worker concerned.
- Typically the total working week should not exceed 6 days in any week and ideally not more than 12 hours in any 24 hour period.
- All terms and conditions should be in accordance with the national laws and practice.
- All employees must be provided with a written, understandable and legally binding employment contract.
- There should be no discrimination based upon race, caste, national origin, age, gender, marital status, disability, religion, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
- Harassment, sexual, physical or mental abuse, or the threat of such abuse, should be prohibited.
- Our company protects its employees from physical, verbal, sexual or psychological harassment, abuse and threats in the workplace.
- Our company respects its employees’ right to personal privacy when implementing methods for employee monitoring and when information is collected or stored.
Health and Safety of Employees
A complete Health and Safety Management System is in place. Employee representatives take part in regular Health and Safety Committee meetings. Accidents and near misses are reported and actioned.
Manufacturing Best Practise
We strive to employ manufacturing best practice including equipment, procedures and standards within the factory. We are accredited to the Global Food Standard for Food Safety.
Training and development of our team is the foundation of our continuous improvement and we are therefore working towards the Investors in People Award.
We recognise the need to minimise the impact of our raw material purchasing on the natural resources of the world. Where appropriate we will buy from sustainable sources or through accredited schemes e.g. Green palm certification. Whenever possible we procure local ingredients.
We are currently working towards the implementation of an Environmental Management system. We will take in to account the impact that our processes, packaging, raw materials, finished products and employees have on the environment. We will strive to meet targets to reduce the baseline impact in a sustainable manner whilst meeting our obligations for Food Safety and personnel Health and Safety.
We value honesty, reliability and fairness within our business. We promote this internally and in the relationships we develop with Customers and Suppliers alike. We believe our integrity is measured by our conduct and as such we will not permit bribery or fraudulent activity within our business. Our company does not permit any form of corruption, bribery, money laundering or unlawful restrictive trade practices.